Thursday, January 24, 2008

Contemplating "Good Enough"

The "good enough" concept is something very near and dear to me. I think about it often and attempt to make sense of what that means in many aspects of my life. Just before the New Year, I was pondering the term with regards to my spiritual walk. Over the years, on many occasion, I have committed to reading the bible. I have succeeded more than once, but never really felt it was "good enough." On my most recent pondering of this, I came to realize that I'd like to do my study of the bible on mine and God's terms. Not, on the terms of "reading the bible in a year," or any other study like this. Please don't get me wrong, I think there is a time and a place and a people to which these studies reach out to, but not for me. I have heard many lessons, or even comments of people who say "you should sit and read for a half hour each day," or "this is how everyone should begin their day." Again, not for me. I came to realize that "good enough" for me, is to sit and read and when I start to find myself growing distracted, stop and review what I have read, find the scripture(s) that speaks to me, write it down and spend a few moments in quiet reflection. This works for me. I often find myself wanting to share that scripture with someone who it reminds me of, or I realize that the scripture is speaking to me about something specific going on in my life. I like feeling "good enough," it fills me with the kind of peace that only being close to God can. "But if you're content to simply be youself, your life will count for plenty" (Matthew 23:12 The Message). "A promise is a promise. God is present, watching and holding you to account regardless." (Matthew 23:22 The Message). "Don't run from suffering, embrace it." (Matthew 16:25 The Message).

2 comments:

Haley said...

Thanks for sharing mom, it's important to realize that while some things work for some people, it doesn't work for everyone, and in the end your walk with God is between just you and God.

Timbra said...

yeah mom. . . right on! it's about grace not checking the boxes, so just because someone sits down at 5am for an hour every day, doesn't mean they get it. . . or maybe they do, but we all have to realize that we don't all "get it" the same way. . . "God made you special. . .and He loves you very much!" I learned that from Larry & Bob (a little cucumber, tomato duet I've come to know and love)