Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Goin' Green and Dirty Dishes

As many of you know, Bill and I have an ongoing desire to be as "green" as possible. The other night, we took an online quiz related to this. We scored 9/10 (only because one was definitely a trick question, and neither of the choices was obviously correct. Alas, we chose the lesser of two evils, after which the question admitted it was a trick one, and showed the correct answer as ours..HA!).

Anyway, one particular question had to do with whether a dishwasher uses less water than washing by hand. We chose correctly--the dishwasher uses less water. The helpful hint to this was that it is unnecessary to rinse off your dishes, as the newer models do this for you. Bill said (to the air around him ) "Hmmmm....you'll have to take that one up with my wife." Okay I admit I use a dishwasher more for sterilizing than cleaning, as my dishes are pretty darn clean going in. So, as I stretch and learn on my journey toward "greenhood," I decided to put the suggestion to the test. That very evening, I put all those nasty, dirty dishes into the dishwasher, let them sit overnight, added some more the next day, let that baby do its magic, and WA-LA! I do believe they glistened in their cleanliness. Simply Amazing!

3 comments:

Haley said...

Nice!! I'm with you on the sanitizing more then the cleaning, but i have an older dishwasher so i don't know if it's as strong as yours. though i'll admit there are times i'm shocked it cleaned something i didn't think it would! good job on you 9/10 score!

Timbra said...

phew you barely got this post in before july ended, i didn't want you to end your streak of 1/month ha ha!!! yeah, i have the bug where the dishes need to be clean before they go in, my friend Liz told me once she had this guy come check out their dishwasher because it wasn't working properly and the guy told her she wasn't putting the dishes in dirty enough. . . that it can't do it's job properly if you don't use it properly, essentially, maybe i'll TRY it?!!! And I will sing to my dirty dishes. . . "you're a hard habit to break!"

Timbra said...

a present? for me? yippee!!!