Sunday, August 17, 2008

A sense of community

Today, Bill and I went to Bainbridge Gardens to celebrate their 50 year anniversary. We had the opportunity to talk with a number of people, as well as view pictures and articles related to the history of the gardens.  Junkoh and Chris Harui opened Town and Country Florist in 1958.  Later, they opened what is now known as Bainbridge Gardens.  It was an amazing testimony to two wonderful people, and the heritage and culture that makes Bainbridge Island what it is today.  

I wrote the above a couple of months ago, and just realized today (October 22nd) that I didn't ever publish it.

Sadly, Junkoh died this last week after a brief battle with cancer.  While we only met him a few times,  he touched our lives.  In a way that was quiet and respectful, in his presence, one felt a sense of peace that transcended the moment, and spoke of generations past, present, and future.

When you come to visit us, we will take you to this special place...show you the grounds and buy you a cookie.

1 comment:

Haley said...

Sad that Junkoh passed away; but I'm glad you guys love BG so much! I'm still waiting for my cookie bar!