Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tri Turtle Tri meets Tri Girl Tri





On September 7th, I embarked on my first triathlon adventure. After months and months of preparation and training, I felt ready to go. Many asked me what my goals were. Well, for my first Tri..the Tri Turtle Tri..it was to have a great time, and to finish. 

I set off in the wee early hours with Bill driving me to meet my friend Deb. Deb had a few technical challenges, which we were able to work out relatively easily and be on our way. The race went really well. I had a great swim (my strongest area), a good bike ride, and a manageable run/walk. I have been dealing with a foot condition, which has made it difficult to work on my running. 

While on the bike leg, I passed Bill, who had gotten a bit lost while trying to find the lake.  He told me later, he knew he was on the right track when he started passing a lot of cyclists.  I was happy to see him waiting for me as I went through the transition area from my bike to run. I can't tell you what it meant to me to see him, and his wonderfully supportive smile. At the finish line, after a hug, congratulations, photo ops, etc., Bill informed me that he thought he'd like to do a tri sometime too.  Which leads me to my third goal...to encourage others to stretch themselves to "tri" something they aspire to do. 

We stayed for the award ceremony, and then said our goodbyes to Deb and her family, and headed off for a yummy Mexican lunch and then home for a nap. 

I honestly felt quite good in the days to follow, a little burned out on all the training, but excited about my next triathlon...the Tri Girl Tri, which I did in CA with my sister Teri a few weekends ago.

Some statistics:  Number of Participants ~ 300, Co-ed, Swim 1/2 mile, Bike 15.2 miles, Run 3.2 (5k).  Time:  2.28.41

3 comments:

Haley said...

Yay for your first Tri!! Your a champ!! Oh, and yay for beating J Lo on your second Tri!

Timbra said...

hey #165, you're a hottie!!! you should be proud of your accomplishments. very cool. i hope when i'm "your age" (and you won't catch ME telling what that age is) i'll still be "tri"ing new things and look as hot as you do :) love ya, your sassy pants daughter. who the heck is jlo? you got some sort of "tri" code now? do i gotsta get in the tri lingo club to know what's being spoken of these days? is haley in the club? she's in it isn't she? well, haley, I'VE had the famous cookie bar. . . so there!!! :)

Grannie Annie said...

Jennifer Lopez...DUH! It was in People Magazine...