Oh the days when I wish I had my camera! Yesterday after church, Bill and I set out on a bike ride. We had plans to head to a local favorite---Bainbridge Gardens.
The gardens were originally started many years ago, before WWII by a local Japanese man. Then, when the Japanese were taken off the island (the very first ones by the way to go to internment camps), the gardens were not cared for. Many years later, his son decided to bring them back to life. One of the trees we saw yesterday was a D'Anjou Pear tree from 1913. Isn't that amazing!
For the most part the gardens now function as a nursery. There are several areas around to sit and relax-they even have a cafe. I went up to order drinks for us, and lo and behold on the counter was the remaining half of a 9x13 pan of chocolate chip cookie bars. I thought I'd buy one for us to share. I watched expectantly as the young man behind the counter cut the bar in half, and then said "which side do you prefer?" I said, "you're joking," to which he replied, "we take our chocolate chip bars very seriously, we don't joke." He then chose one side for me and slipped it expertly into a bag. I barely made it back to my seat it was so heavy to carry, and the fact that I was laughing out of control was most definitely a contributor. OH THE SIMPLE JOYS OF LIFE!
Off we went to complete our bike tour. Lots of challenging hills and a total of 13 miles. Fun stuff. By the way, despite our best efforts, we didn't finish the bar.
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's good that you found someone who takes cookie bars as serious as you do!
Post a Comment